New xfce4-terminal package.

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
mobius

New xfce4-terminal package.

Post by mobius »

Hi. I have xfce4-terminal 1.0.4, the latest in the repos. I would like the latest 1.1.2 xfce4-terminal. Is it acceptable to build from the .tar file from the github page for that package?

I tried to do that on a different distro in a VM, as I didn't want to foul up my Salix installation. Eventually it was successful, but there were a lot of missing dependencies along the way which needed to be installed. In the forum for that distro, someone pointed out that the command 'apt build-dep xfce4-terminal' would get all the dependencies for xfce4-terminal. Is there a similar command in Salix?

Also, when the build was eventually successful, the resulting binary was three times the size of the 1.1.2 binary that I found on still another distro in a VM. Why would that be?
Real men don't systemd.

Friends don't let friends systemd.
sammy

Re: New xfce4-terminal package.

Post by sammy »

At the moment I'm running Slackware64-15.0 and have no Salix box here, but this should work the same on Salix.

To get xfce4-terminal-1.1.3 running I just downloaded the -current SlackBuild scripts for libxfce4ui, libxfce4util, xfce4-terminal from http://slackware.uk/slackware/slackware ... urce/xfce/, built and installed the packages by executing the .SlackBuild script and using upgradepkg to install each of the built packages.

Here's the ls output of the built packages:

Code: Select all

-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 137K Mar  3 16:47 /tmp/libxfce4util-4.18.2-x86_64-1.txz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 356K Mar  3 16:58 /tmp/libxfce4ui-4.18.5-x86_64-1.txz
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 395K Mar  3 16:59 /tmp/xfce4-terminal-1.1.3-x86_64-1.txz
mobius

Post by mobius »

@sammy, wow, thanks for the great instructions! I now have xfce4-terminal 1.1.3. :) [I previously had 1.0.4, the latest in the repos.]

My reason for wanting the new version, was to have the ability the change the shortcuts for the terminal screen-buffer scroll-line-up, scroll-line-down, scroll-page-up, scroll-page-down, top-of-buffer, bottom-of-buffer. This new version (actually, I think it was as of version 1.1.1) allows to edit the first four of those, but the last two are still missing. Seems strange that the maintainer added four out of six, since they are really all of a group. How would one go about requesting the addition of those last two?

Since terminalrc is no longer used, I'm curious as to where the settings are now stored?
Real men don't systemd.

sammy

Post by sammy »

mobius wrote: 3. Mar 2024, 21:26 How would one go about requesting the addition of those last two?
I think the most efficient process would be registering to https://gitlab.xfce.org/apps/xfce4-terminal and either opening a new issue or contributing to an existing one (if that issue already exists and is still open).
mobius wrote: 3. Mar 2024, 21:26 Since terminalrc is no longer used, I'm curious as to where the settings are now stored?
See the FILES section at

man xfce4-terminal
On my box it's $HOME/.config/xfce4/terminal/accels.scm
Last edited by sammy on 4. Mar 2024, 09:29, edited 1 time in total.
mobius

Post by mobius »

Sorry to be so dumb! After reboot, my terminal is back to 1.0.4, and package manager doesn't show the new version; also whereis only finds the old one. Do I have to rebuild? And how to make the system keep the new version?

Okay, got it. Had to copy the executable from the directory where it was built, to a directory on the path (I put it in /usr/local/bin/). Then, close terminal and restart, and I have the new version. :)

But the package manager is still not showing the new one (it was showing it yesterday). Is there something more that needs to be done?
Real men don't systemd.

sammy

Post by sammy »

mobius wrote: 4. Mar 2024, 22:02 Okay, got it. Had to copy the executable from the directory where it was built, to a directory on the path (I put it in /usr/local/bin/). Then, close terminal and restart, and I have the new version. :)

But the package manager is still not showing the new one (it was showing it yesterday). Is there something more that needs to be done?
If there is no entry in the EXCLUDE variable in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc for the manually installed packages, then on the next package update process (by using gslapt or slapt-get) they will be replaced with the packages from the Salix repository.

To keep them, I would suggest one of the following options:
  • Add an entry for each manually installed package to the EXCLUDE variable.
  • Set an individual build tag for the group of manually installed packages, by modifying the SlackBuild scripts, rebuild them and add that tag to the EXCLUDE variable. So you wont need to set an entry for each package.
    For that, change the line

/sbin/makepkg -l y -c n $TMP/$PKGNAM-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD.txz
    to

/sbin/makepkg -l y -c n $TMP/$PKGNAM-$VERSION-$ARCH-$BUILD$TAG.txz
    and add the TAG variable either at the top of the scripts, right after the BUILD variable, or to the command line when starting the SlackBuild script like so:

TAG="_mytag" ./libxfce4ui.SlackBuild
If you choose the first option, then have a look at the output of

ls -1 /var/log/packages/{libxfce4util,libxfce4ui,xfce4-terminal}*
If it shows the old versions, then you will need to reinstall the new packages (using the upgradepkg command). The built packages should have been saved in /tmp/. So, if you didn't remove those, there's no need to rebuild them.
You could search for them, using something like

find /tmp/ -type f -name "*xfce4*.txz"
mobius

Post by mobius »

Thank you. You (or someone) had mentioned it was a good idea to save local packages, which I did. I had no idea where to put them, so I had created the directory /usr/local/pkg/, and moved them there from /tmp/, and still have them as a result.

The /var/log/packages listing did indeed show the old packages, but I was easily able to reinstall the new ones using upgradepkg. I then added them to EXCLUDE. The package manager now shows the new versions as marked for upgrading, but locked. Should I remove them from EXCLUDE, do the upgrade in the package manager (though it was already done on the command line), and then add them back to EXCLUDE? Or should I just ignore those markings in the package manager?
Real men don't systemd.

sammy

Post by sammy »

mobius wrote: 6. Mar 2024, 22:40 I had no idea where to put them, so I had created the directory /usr/local/pkg/, and moved them there from /tmp/, and still have them as a result.
The advise didn't come from me, but it's good.
mobius wrote: 6. Mar 2024, 22:40 The package manager now shows the new versions as marked for upgrading, but locked. Should I remove them from EXCLUDE, do the upgrade in the package manager (though it was already done on the command line), and then add them back to EXCLUDE? Or should I just ignore those markings in the package manager?
If you remove them from EXCLUDE, the package manager will replace them with the packages from the Salix repository (which is also defined in slapt-getrc) on the next package upgrade. If that's what you want, then remove the entries. But if you want to keep the new versions untouched, there need to be entries for those in the EXCLUDE variable.

You could do an package upgrade now, using the package manager, to see what it will do with the new packages.

To get update information for the new versions of the manually installed packages, I would suggest using a feed reader (or Mozilla Thunderbird) and add the slackware-current feed.
mobius

[SOLVED] Re: New xfce4-terminal package.

Post by mobius »

The package manager said no updates available. I'll just leave those marked as EXCLUDE. All's good now. Thanks for all your help. Marked as solved.
Real men don't systemd.