initrd with LVM

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
damNageHack

initrd with LVM

Post by damNageHack »

Please add LVM module to initrd. Otherwise, it is possible to use LVM partitons in setup but kernel will not be able to boot from a lvm volume, although lilo can find the kernel. Boot stops with kernel panic, VFS not found for root ...
I wondered that lilo can boot from LVM at all, very nice. :D And setup seems to be fixed for LVM support, also great. :)
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
Shador

Re: initrd with LVM

Post by Shador »

You should know that Salix uses no initrd per default. You need to generate one yourself using mkinitrd containing all the needed modules. There's a document called README_LVM.txt, which explains all this more thoroughly, you might want to search for it.
damNageHack

Re: initrd with LVM

Post by damNageHack »

Shador wrote:You should know that Salix uses no initrd per default. You need to generate one yourself using mkinitrd containing all the needed modules.
Unfortunately, yes. You are right that I should know why and how. :oops:
Shador wrote:There's a document called README_LVM.txt, which explains all this more thoroughly, you might want to search for it.
Yeah, I remember that I found it more or less "randomly" sometimes ... :roll:
Maybe it is more like a problem that LVM is not supported "as default" but setup is (at least so) compatible to be able to "work with it". I am thinking of making some script or tool as an addition to setup but I am not clearly sure what the tool should do and what not :D

EDIT:
Shador wrote:You need to generate one yourself using mkinitrd containing all the needed modules.
Oh, I found out that there is a script that can help you in finding the correct parameters for mkinitrd. It is there:
/usr/share/mkinitrd/mkinitrd_command_generator.sh
I got this hint from that very interesting discussion about mkinitrd:
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... rd-751034/
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.