Moving Wireless Tools etc to Core

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
pwatk

Moving Wireless Tools etc to Core

Post by pwatk »

Can wireless-tools, wpa_supplicant and all wireless related firmware be moved to Core on the next installation disc please?

I know I can move this around myself but a working network, what ever that may be, is the first priority when setting up a system so I feel these packages belong in Core!

I also have a small server I'm trying to setup wireless (I know... everything is wireless in this house). I initially did this with OpenSUSE and although everything worked I just missed Salix/Slackware.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Moving Wireless Tools etc to Core

Post by gapan »

I don't think that's a good idea. The main point about core is that you get a very basic system to which you can add whatever you like, including wireless tools. Having to remove unneeded wireless software or firmwares would beat that point.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Considering the network-scripts cater for wireless networking I don't see why wireless-tools etc should be considered to be any less essential than net-tools.

Then again, I still think there's enough room on the disc to include the kernel-generic and kernel-source packages but that's another battle to be had :)
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Everytime I've done a core setup, I've never needed any wireless stuff. IMHO wireless is only needed for notebooks and there the basic install fits better (just remove xfce* if you don't want xfce).
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Xfce, Xorg and anything X related if you just want a CLI base system.

If people just bought the right hardware and invested a little time in configuration I'm sure wireless would be more common amongst everyone. All the desktops and laptops I've had in the last 3-4 years have been wireless!

Nevermind it was just a thought. I can always move stuff around myself since I install from a USB stick.
Shador

Post by Shador »

In fact I think I have no single desktop here with wireless and I can't think right now about anyone except you who has. :P
IMHO wireless is a waste for desktop PCs. Usually you have the possibilities to use wires and they are just so much faster, stable and responsive than wireless, especiall gigabit ethernet. <3
Actually I connect my laptop by wire whenever possible even more since I got gigabit ethernet.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

If I want to run an Ethernet cable to this PC I have to breakout my 25M cable.

I can see that I'm gonna have to play the wireless discrimination card here.... 'iz zit cos I iz wireless' :lol: .
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

thenktor wrote:Everytime I've done a core setup, I've never needed any wireless stuff. IMHO wireless is only needed for notebooks and there the basic install fits better (just remove xfce* if you don't want xfce).
I just noticed that this doesn't stand up either because all the wireless related packages are in full.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

Buy WLAN-Ethernet bridges instead of these WLAN sticks :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »