Moving Wireless Tools etc to Core

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Moving Wireless Tools etc to Core

Post by thenktor »

:mrgreen: :P
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

LOL, for a while I thought I was seeing double. Oh, wait. I was! :mrgreen:
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Oh well, at least I managed to amuse :)
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Shador wrote:In fact I think I have no single desktop here with wireless and I can't think right now about anyone except you who has. :P
IMHO wireless is a waste for desktop PCs. Usually you have the possibilities to use wires and they are just so much faster, stable and responsive than wireless, especiall gigabit ethernet. <3
Sure, but IMHO that wireless in SalixOS (and on almost every distro) should be just as pwatk described.
Shador wrote:Actually I connect my laptop by wire whenever possible even more since I got gigabit ethernet.
Agreed, but my main reason for doing so is because radiation, maybe I'm just paranoid.
pwatk wrote:Oh well, at least I managed to amuse :)
You sure did! :lol:
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

Maybe there is some not-GPLed firmware stuff around? I remember that some was available only as binaries.
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I only wanted to move the existing firmware packages plus wireless-tools and wpa_supplicant to core from full.

Why do you want non-GPL firmware e.g. b43, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't/couldn't be included on the disc or am I missing something here?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

pwatk wrote:Why do you want non-GPL firmware e.g. b43, I'm pretty sure it wouldn't/couldn't be included on the disc or am I missing something here?
No, you're not.
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

I didn't think so.

I considered writing my slkbuild's for the b43 stuff as network install scripts but that seamed counter productive (chicken = egg = chicken) :D.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Anyway, now that the installation CD can be used as a repository, anyone that wants wireless packages can install them on "core" and "basic" installations without needing an internet connection in the first place.
damNageHack

Post by damNageHack »

gapan wrote:Anyway, now that the installation CD can be used as a repository, anyone that wants wireless packages can install them on "core" and "basic" installations without needing an internet connection in the first place.
++
This is the oppinion of the author, it does not force you to share and is signed automatically.
You are free to keep them all errors for your own. Linux is the best game I ever played.