Some thoughts about Salix, Slack, etc. / Opera 11 SLKBUILD

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: Some thoughts about Salix, Slack, etc. / Opera 11 SLKBUI

Post by thenktor »

The problem is, that most users don't want to use scripts and stuff. They just want to click on the update icon in the systray and therefore we need packages ;)
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
pwatk

Post by pwatk »

Fair enough.
ruario

Post by ruario »

Yeah, I agree. My scripts are intended more for Opera fanatics (like me) ;), rather than all users.

As to which Opera builds should be in the stable Salix version, I think that any build that addresses a security issue should really be included. The best way to tell if we addressed a security is looking at the changelogs, which are found here: www.opera.com/docs/changelogs/unix

If you scroll to the bottom of any one those listed they should have a 'Security' section, if a security issue(s) was addressed. In most cases every stable build has at least one security flaw fixed. I don't think this necessarily means that we do a bad job (you would find the same with all the major browser manufacturers) but rather this happens because browsers are more heavily targeted by those wanting to be devious. This is not surprising as networking programs are often an obvious attack vector and the browser sub category even more so, since all users (well almost) regularly use one.

So this basically means, if a browser is accepted in the repository you should expect to have to update it quite frequently. Thus far it seems like thenktor has been doing a good job in this regard with regards to Opera. :D