[done]slapt-src vs. sbopkg

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
luxuslurch

[done]slapt-src vs. sbopkg

Post by luxuslurch »

Hello,

I have a question concerning the access to slackbuilds. Until recently I used sbopkg to build these packages, but now I discovered I could've used slapt-src, too. So, what's the real difference between them? Both take a script from slackbuilds and build the package on my system. Which one's preferred in Salix? Does it matter?

Thank you very much for your attention,

Lurchi
Last edited by luxuslurch on 11. Feb 2011, 22:31, edited 1 time in total.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: slapt-src vs. sbopkg

Post by thenktor »

I'd suggest to use slapt-src which already comes with Salix. If you want to use sbopkg here is a guide: http://www.salixos.org/wiki/index.php/H ... with_Salix
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
luxuslurch

Post by luxuslurch »

Yes, using slapt-src was just what I had in mind. Coming from Debian, I am just a little bit curious, if there might be any problems I could run into when mixing both programs.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

slapt-src also browses available Salix slkbuilds repository & not only SBO.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Akuna wrote:slapt-src also browses available Salix slkbuilds repository & not only SBO.
Well, actually, slapt-src is capable of browsing multiple repos at once, and will be able to browse the salix slkbuild repo, when that will be available.

In any case, there are differences between slapt-src and sbopkg. Although they can both be used to install SlackBuilds from SBo, they work in very different ways. But since both can install SlackBuilds, which is what you want to do, you can use either one.
luxuslurch

Post by luxuslurch »

Okay, thank you very much for clearing this in general. More specific questions will be following in another thread...