Gigolo problem

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
toothandnail

Gigolo problem

Post by toothandnail »

I mentioned this problem prior to the release of 13.37 Xfce. Details are here:

http://www.salixos.org/forum/viewtopic. ... 291#p14362

I've just set up 13.37 for a friend. He runs a small computer business and has 3 servers in his network - two SME (CentOS 4.8-based) and one Ahamhi (Fedora 12 based). Unfortunately, he has exactly the same problem with mounting Windows shares using Gigolo:

Code: Select all

Connecting to "smb://brillcomp;admin@pandora/utils/" failed.

DBus error org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.NoReply: Message did not receive 
a reply (timeout by message bus)
In each instance, he can connect to one share on each server, but attempting to connect to any other share on the same server results in the error above. A machine restart is required before any other share can be connected.

I can change some of his shares to NFS, but neither SME or Amahi are very well set up to use NFS, so it will require quite a bit of fiddling to get done. And it would be very useful to be able to get this error fixed.

It looks almost as though it is not Gigolo itself that has the error, but something in the way it connects to Red Hat based systems is causing the problem. My network has (currently) two servers, one Amahi (Fedora 12) and one SMS (Slackware 13.37 based). I hit the problem the moment I try to connect to more than one Samba share on the Amahi server, but can mount multiple shares from the SMS server.

I've tried google searches and found a number of similar problems, but no solution that I can apply.

Any ideas?

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Gigolo problem

Post by gapan »

Just a thought: since it does connect once, maybe it's a problem with storing passwords in keyrings or something like that? Maybe the password is stored the first time and then gigolo expects it to be retreived automatically but can't?
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:Just a thought: since it does connect once, maybe it's a problem with storing passwords in keyrings or something like that? Maybe the password is stored the first time and then gigolo expects it to be retreived automatically but can't?
Its possible, I guess. Certainly, I'm seeing an error logged from the Gnome-keyring, though, so far as I can see, it only happens the first time the keyring is accessed. I know this one has been mentioned before:

Jul  9 21:23:15 darkstar gnome-keyring-daemon[2412]: GLib-GIO: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.
Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Jul  9 21:23:15 darkstar gnome-keyring-daemon[2412]: couldn't set environment variable in session: The
 name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
From the results I was getting using Google, the most common suspect seems to be gvfs. As an experiment, I attempted to build an older version of gvfs (on the basis that I wasn't seeing this error in earlier versions of Salix). Unfortunately, the earliest version of the source code I have (1.6.0) fails to build under Salix 13.37. As a followup, I built the most recent version (1.7.3) and installed it. With 1.7.3 installed, I couldn't use gigolo to connect to anything (well, at least anything that needs a password - I don't have any normal connects that don't require passwords...)

With 1.7.3 installed, I got the error mentioned in my first post as soon as the password was entered. No chance to connect to anything at all.

:) Still looking for a solution.....

Paul.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

:( I'm becoming confused.

I just fired up Zenwalk 7.0 (took a while, I haven't used it in months and couldn't remember what user name I had set for it...).

Anyhow, it has the same version of gigalo, same version of gvfs and a slightly older version of the gnome-keyring. Created a set of book marks to match the ones I have set up under Salix, told the system to remember the password forever, set up the gnome-keyring to remember the passwords. And I can connect to every single share with no sign at all of the error I'm getting under Salix.

Pity I dislike Zenwalk....

Edit: I've also just tried an experiment under Salix.Instead of using the shortcuts, I logged in manually, using a different user. When prompted for the password, I selected to forget the password immediately. I was then able to repeat the process for every share on the Amahi server. All connected without problems.

To follow up the initial experiment, I disconnected from all the shares and started manually logging in again. This time, I selected to remember the password until I logged out. And I was able to connect to only one share. When I tried to connect to a second share. I got the same D-bus error. So it looks like George's first message was correct - it is a password retrieval problem. Question is, why does it work under Zenwalk but not under Salix?

Also, is there some way to purge the keyring data?

Paul.
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Further to this problem, checking /var/log/messages, I see that there is an error generated by gnome-keyring every time the system starts:

Jul 12 10:26:02 darkstar gnome-keyring-daemon[2425]: GLib-GIO: Using the 'memory' GSettings backend.
Your settings will not be saved or shared with other applications.
Jul 12 10:26:02 darkstar gnome-keyring-daemon[2425]: couldn't set environment variable in session: The
 name org.gnome.SessionManager was not provided by any .service files
Not sure if this is the cause of the password /dbus failure for multiple share connections, but it would be nice to fix.

I'd really like to get this fixed - I've got the opportunity of converting a customer to Linux, and would really like to use Salix for them, but the problem with multiple logins to windows shares would be a deal-breaker.

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Can you try to install dconf using the following SLKBUILD?

#Packager: George Vlahavas <vlahavas~at~gmail~dot~com>

pkgname=dconf
pkgver=0.5.1
pkgrel=1gv
source=("ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/dconf/0.5/dconf-0.5.1.tar.bz2")
docs=("readme" "install" "copying" "changelog" "authors" "news" "todo")
url=http://live.gnome.org/dconf

slackdesc=\
(
#|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
"dconf (a low-level configuration system"
"dconf is a low-level configuration system. Its main purpose is to"
"provide a backend to GSettings on platforms that don't already have"
"configuration storage systems."
)

build() {
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
	./configure \
		--prefix=/usr \
		--libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
		--localstatedir=/var \
		--sysconfdir=/etc \
		--disable-gtk-doc \
		--disable-gtk-doc-html \
		--disable-gtk-doc-pdf \
		--build=$arch-slackware-linux
	make -j $numjobs || return 1
	make install DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg

rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/gtk-doc
} 
You'll need vala installed to do it. Also maybe rebuild gvfs after you install dconf, but I don't think it's needed.
lmello

Post by lmello »

I'm having a similar problem in my NIS network - when I try to use Thunar or Gigolo to mount a pendrive automatically, I get messages regarding permissions:

In Thunar:

Rejected send message, 1 matched rules; type="method_call", sender=":1.36" (uid=1000 pid=4453 comm="exo-mount) interface="org.freedesktop.Hal.Device.Volume" member="Mount" error name="(unset)" requested_reply=0 destination="org.freedesktop.Hal" (uid=0 pid=1691 comm="/usr/sbin/hald)).
And in Gigolo:

Error: org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.AccessDenied
BTW, I'm using NFS to mount my home directory, with the option "root_squash"... could this be somehow related to this problem?
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

gapan wrote:Can you try to install dconf using the following SLKBUILD?

#Packager: George Vlahavas <vlahavas~at~gmail~dot~com>

pkgname=dconf
pkgver=0.5.1
pkgrel=1gv
source=("ftp://ftp.gnome.org/pub/gnome/sources/dconf/0.5/dconf-0.5.1.tar.bz2")
docs=("readme" "install" "copying" "changelog" "authors" "news" "todo")
url=http://live.gnome.org/dconf

slackdesc=\
(
#|-----handy-ruler------------------------------------------------------|
"dconf (a low-level configuration system"
"dconf is a low-level configuration system. Its main purpose is to"
"provide a backend to GSettings on platforms that don't already have"
"configuration storage systems."
)

build() {
	cd $startdir/src/$pkgname-$pkgver
	./configure \
		--prefix=/usr \
		--libdir=/usr/lib${LIBDIRSUFFIX} \
		--localstatedir=/var \
		--sysconfdir=/etc \
		--disable-gtk-doc \
		--disable-gtk-doc-html \
		--disable-gtk-doc-pdf \
		--build=$arch-slackware-linux
	make -j $numjobs || return 1
	make install DESTDIR=$startdir/pkg

rm -rf $startdir/pkg/usr/share/gtk-doc
} 
You'll need vala installed to do it. Also maybe rebuild gvfs after you install dconf, but I don't think it's needed.
Thanks George. Installed, but no change. I'm still getting the complaint from gnome-keyring on startup, and still getting the D-bus error on attempting to connect using passwords.

I also tried to rebuild gvfs (using your original SLKBUILD). It fails to build - I'm getting these errors:

Making all in gconf
make[2]: Entering directory `/home/stor/build/salix32-13.2/gvfs/1.6.6/src/gvfs-1.6.6/gconf'
  CC     libgiogconf_la-gapplookupgconf.lo
gapplookupgconf.c:41:59: error: expected ')' before '*' token
gapplookupgconf.c: In function 'g_app_lookup_gconf_register_type':
gapplookupgconf.c:44:1: error: 'lookup_iface_init' undeclared (first use in this function)
gapplookupgconf.c:44:1: note: each undeclared identifier is reported only once for each function it appears in
gapplookupgconf.c:44:1: error: 'G_TYPE_DESKTOP_APP_INFO_LOOKUP' undeclared (first use in this function)
gapplookupgconf.c: At top level:
gapplookupgconf.c:99:51: error: expected ')' before '*' token
gapplookupgconf.c:165:47: error: expected ')' before '*' token
gapplookupgconf.c: In function 'g_app_lookup_gconf_register':
gapplookupgconf.c:174:35: error: 'G_DESKTOP_APP_INFO_LOOKUP_EXTENSION_POINT_NAME' undeclared (first use in this function)
make[2]: *** [libgiogconf_la-gapplookupgconf.lo] Error 1
make[2]: Leaving directory `/home/stor/build/salix32-13.2/gvfs/1.6.6/src/gvfs-1.6.6/gconf'
make[1]: *** [all-recursive] Error 1
make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/stor/build/salix32-13.2/gvfs/1.6.6/src/gvfs-1.6.6'
make: *** [all] Error 2
build() failed.
I built 1.7.0, but with it in, I can't mount anything through gigolo - as soon as I try, I get the D-bus timeout error. I then downloaded 1.6.7 and tried it. Build was fine for it but I still have the same problem - as soon as I try to use a password when connecting to shares through gigolo, I get the D-bus timeout error again.

I also notice that installing gvfs gives me a number of warnings. These apply whether I reinstall the original 1.6.6 version from the iso or any of the more recent builds that I've been able to create::

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfreerdp.so.0 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfreerdpchanman.so.0 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfreerdpkbd.so.0 is not a symbolic link

/sbin/ldconfig: /usr/lib/libfreerdpgdi.so.0 is not a symbolic link
I'm still not sure what is causing the error. The fact that the latest version of gvfs causes it to appear instantly makes me think that its only partially due to gnome-keyring.

Paul.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I hit a problem with gigolo too, with ssh shares. Without dconf, whenever I tried to connect to an ssh share and trying to permanently store the password, it would throw a dbus error and not connect. With dconf installed, I was prompted to create a keyring password (this was on a fresh installation) and then it worked properly, every time. So, I added dconf to the repositories anyway. I have no samba shares anywhere so I can't really try and see if I can replicate your problem.

I am convinced that your problem only has something to do with the keyring and not gvfs or gigolo itself. As a workaround can you try other alternatives for mounting your samba shares? Like fusesmb, available with slapt-src/sourcery. Not a solution, but maybe good enough.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

OK, after a reboot with dconf installed, I try to mount one ssh share with gigolo, it does it right (after prompting me for the keyring password) and any other attempt to mount another share, or even the same share after I unmount it first results to the same message you get. I think it's the same problem, so it's not only particular to samba shares.