A Control Panel

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: A Control Panel

Post by Akuna »

laprjns, thanks for the feedback.
Can you try this package instead?
http://people.salixos.org/akuna/testing ... h-1plb.txz
(I updated my previous post with this new link...)
Tx :)
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
laprjns
Salix Warrior

Post by laprjns »

It's working now :)
“Don’t you see that the whole aim of Newspeak is to narrow the range of thought?"
tsuren

Post by tsuren »

Just tested now. Looks very nice!
'Tommorow is like today, just happens tomorrow.'
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

I post some output below in case it is of interest. [Under Salix Ratpoison beta]

I just had a quick fiddle with it, and one thing I found unintuitive is that in order to select a category for an item that doesn't yet appear, such as "Install multimedia codecs", the category selection only works if you have previously ticked "activate".

EDIT A minor point, but could it be less mouse-dependent? I think I tried right-arrow to move from categories to items (over on the right); only clicking did anything.

I haven't been following this thread closely recently, so apologies if I've missed something.

Code: Select all

root[lucy]# setupcenter.py 
/usr/sbin/setupcenter.py:112: GtkWarning: Could not load image '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gtklocalesetup.svg': Failed to open file '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gtklocalesetup.svg': No such file or directory
  builder.add_from_file('/usr/share/setupcenter/setupcenter.glade')
/usr/sbin/setupcenter.py:112: GtkWarning: Could not load image '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gtkiconrefresh.svg': Failed to open file '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/scalable/apps/gtkiconrefresh.svg': No such file or directory
/usr/sbin/setupcenter.py:112: GtkWarning: Could not load image '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gtkalsasetup.png': Failed to open file '/usr/share/icons/hicolor/48x48/apps/gtkalsasetup.png': No such file or directory
TypeError: on_category_iconview_selection_changed() takes exactly 2 arguments (4 given)
TypeError: on_category_iconview_selection_changed() takes exactly 2 arguments (4 given)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/setupcenter.py", line 415, in on_preferences_button_clicked
    shutil.copyfile(pref_path + 'setupcenter_pref.py', pref_path + 'setupcenter_pref.old')
  File "/usr/lib/python2.6/shutil.py", line 50, in copyfile
    with open(src, 'rb') as fsrc:
IOError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/setupcentersetupcenter_pref.py'
sed: can't read /etc/setupcentersetupcenter_pref.py: No such file or directory
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/sbin/setupcenter.py", line 609, in on_preferences_ok_button_clicked
    os.remove(pref_path + 'setupcenter_pref.old')
OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/etc/setupcentersetupcenter_pref.old'
root[lucy]# 
Last edited by mimosa on 21. Jul 2011, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Mimosa, some of your error messages are very strange.
Are you sure that you have the very last version? Some of the package's files (the configuration file) appears to be missing from your system.
Also don't you have Salix GTK tools on your system? Some also appear to be missing.
In any case at this early stage, setupcenter probably is not yet compatible with non-mouse environment but eventually yes, it could be.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Akuna, I downloaded it using your link and installed with spkg, probably for the first time in this install. The output was really just for fun - God knows what isn't in Salix Ratpoison that you would expect to find normally. :lol: (Though I've installed quite a few things to make this or that work, so really, one would need to do the test in a pristine install.)

However, maybe the streamlined nature of Salix Ratpoison also accounts for the behaviour I commented on (obligatory tick to "activate" before selecting category). When next I'm in xfce, I'll give it another try.

EDIT

Code: Select all

root[lucy]# spkg -i setupcenter-0.8.1-alpha-noarch-1plb.txz
toothandnail

Post by toothandnail »

Akuna wrote:laprjns, thanks for the feedback.
Can you try this package instead?
(I updated my previous post with this new link...)
Tx :)
I had 0.7 installed, so downloaded this version. When I went to upgrade, spkg complained that the older version wasn't installed, so I uninstalled it manually and installed the new version fresh.

Works well, but for some reason does not remember the change to single view. It can be set during operation, but forgets the setting and goes back to view by category on the next start.

Paul.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

toothandnail wrote:Works well, but for some reason does not remember the change to single view. It can be set during operation, but forgets the setting and goes back to view by category on the next start.
Here too, thanks for catching this.

In the meanwhile today I 'concocted' a specific icon for setupcenter:

JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Awsome icon ! But i wonder how it looks in small size (16x16) ? Btw i think the idea is good.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

This should be very close to the final version.
All the last missing functions have been added: multitasking, icon chooser with preview, etc.

http://people.salixos.org/akuna/testing ... h-1plb.md5

There are probably a few bugs that still need ironing. Thanks for catching and reporting them.