Remove java plugin from Firefox

If you have any suggestions or ideas about improving Salix, here's the place to post them.
tnmarktx

Remove java plugin from Firefox

Post by tnmarktx »

It seems to interfere with flash playback a bit. Firefox reports that it needs updated. However, disabling it was an easy fix.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Remove java plugin from Firefox

Post by gapan »

Interfere with flash playback where? I haven't noticed anything like that. That said, java will be completely removed in the next version anyway, as Oracle does not allow free distribution of newer versions.
caitlyn

Post by caitlyn »

gapan wrote:That said, java will be completely removed in the next version anyway, as Oracle does not allow free distribution of newer versions.
Am I correct in assuming you'll package OpenJDK instead?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

I really don't know. Lets see what slackware will do first. Maybe they'll package openjdk/jre as a replacement for the oracle java packages.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Please excuse my uncertainty,my learning curve is still very much in knowledge indigestion..lots of half eaten facts but not the wisdom to connect all the dots yet.
But with regards to Java/OpenJDK...i know there is Google's Dart,but im not ready to give skin & hair samples at every login any time soon...
But i have had some previous contact with Tcl/Tk and the H3-veiwer ...it was touted as an alternative to Java..and there was plugins for Firefox ..i know Tcl had its birthing pains in the Slackware past ...has it been relegated to respectable antiquity? ..its certainly fast and lightweight..not sure about security,etc ..i guess i should check it out again ..and until i suss it out ..ill leave sensible answers and certainty to more experienced practitioners...its still nice to blow on a dandelion to see who sneezes though ;)
Shador

Post by Shador »

deja69 wrote:But i have had some previous contact with Tcl/Tk and the H3-veiwer ...it was touted as an alternative to Java
An alternative maybe. I never used it but it's relatively old and not commonly used. However, what about all those (mission-critical) Java applications out there? It can offer no solution at all (OpenJDK does).
While OpenJDK may not be 100% compatible with Oracle's jave, my experience is that most common, non-special applications work. Much better than e.g. gnash an open Flash implementation, probably also as the Java language is standardized an allows for 3rd-party jre's and compilers with Oracle's implementation being kind of a reference implementation. For the small amount of remaining users there is still the possibility to install the Oracle's Java e.g. through slackbuilds. This is a very unfortunate development because it makes centralized distribution as used by Linux distributions impossible and mostly hits normal users. Whose applications might break and requires additional work to get it working.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

With regards to the long running Java issue,its one reason i have half an eye on the Illumos project,although they are at the mercy of Oracle also,it seems the answer will surface most likely in those quarters.
Theres also the German-based Schillix,who seem to pride themselves on being a slight irritant to the powers that be :D
We'll see,the best answers always manifest when the correct questions are asked ;)
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

While OpenJDK may not be 100% compatible with Oracle's jave
Oracle JDK 7 = OpenJDK 7 + installer + browser plugin and webstart

So for Java 7, appart from webstart and the browser plugin (which is currently developped too), it's identical. Oracle Java 7 IS OpenJDK 7. The only problem is for software that are not compatible with Java 7. But for this case, you could still install another java version from the Oracle web site.
deja69

Post by deja69 »

Yeah,from trying to complile Hase ,JDK7 didnt play so just adding JDK6r29 solved it.
Its seems fashionable to dis Java ,i still havent worked out if its secure or a security risk :? ..everyone has a conflicting opinion,but the little ive done i quite like working with Java,plus with all politics i have a soft spot for Sun,just seems they were so badly treated,its good to see Adobe get some karmic comeback.
Just hate the politics :( ,if you are a Joe Public user or business you just want things to work,without great security holes,or Yahooglebook datamining your info for profit,its essentially theft,they dont even offer a percentage! :shock:
If you are a developer you just want clear guidelines on licencing,and options to do alternatives,without some parasite twisting the ToS a few years later and hitting you over the head with it!If someone puts hard work and time into a venture they should be either paid,or if freely not have someone rebrand their idea,stick a pricetag on it,so the brainchild ends up having to buy their own idea.Its muddy.........
Take the AT&T stuff years ago that was given free after its breakup,that Microsoft/SCO/Novell were squabbling over that set the industry back 10 years,AT&T was government funded,theres an arguement that development outside the US should be licenced,but as US citizens your grandparents have already paid for the stuff in taxes...theres a lot of this going on everywhere in all areas of society,just most people are dumb enough to swallow it...anyway rant over ..sorry :oops:
Life is simple,making things difficult to boost your own sense of self-importance..well its a little sad,really
Lets hope the spirit of FOSS stays true and everyone gets paid or appreciated without the dumb stuff :D
Shador

Post by Shador »

Thanks for the clarification, JRD. I was under the impression that OpenJDK is yet another 3rd party jre/compiler implementation, which doesn't mean they're bad.