SOLVED Maté - no option to toggle summer time in Brazil

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

SOLVED Maté - no option to toggle summer time in Brazil

Post by mimosa »

This is a terribly, terribly minor issue - so minor that I can't recall if it also occurs in xfce.

Anyway, I just set the correct time in my new Maté Live USB with persistence, :D and was offered a choice of zones, including East, which is GMT -3. This is probably the most common time zone for Brazil, where all the major coastal cities are.

However, in the summer, starting some time in October, down south in places like Rio and São Paulo they have summer time, but here in the north we don't because the length of the day hardly changes. So the time displayed might be an hour out half the year.

Incidentally, for anyone who's interested, here is a way to make Windows 7 use UTC. I used the second method, executing the .reg file:

http://mikebeach.org/2011/04/10/windows ... me-issues/

Windows allows you to toggle summer time use on or off. Obviously it only makes a difference once summer time is in force in the parts of Brazil that use it.
Last edited by mimosa on 13. Jul 2012, 21:00, edited 1 time in total.
Shador

Re: Maté - no option to toggle summer time in Brazil

Post by Shador »

If you're not able to find the right timezone or it does not exist just use GMT-3. This is fine as long as you don't need DST.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: Maté - no option to toggle summer time in Brazil

Post by mimosa »

Thanks Shador.

For anyone else reading this, please note that GMT relative timezones can be found under "region" Etc. in Maté's system clock settings.

However it's untidy and it would please Brazilian users (few enough of them, I think, despite sales figures for Linux machines = install pirate OS at home) to get this right. I'm sure it's an upstream Gnome/Maté issue, though, not a Salix one.
Shador

Re: SOLVED Maté - no option to toggle summer time in Brazil

Post by Shador »

This database is used on linux systems: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tz_database

The selection is just through various frontends which might sort differently. Did you already try all Brazilian timezones?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Re: SOLVED Maté - no option to toggle summer time in Brazil

Post by mimosa »

It's definitely the right time zone - and would behave perfectly if I were in Rio. I think it must just be that the WIndows 7 front end adds on an option to switch off summer time, regardless of the zone.

However I've just looked at the system clock in Salix Xfce and I notice that as well as the region "Brazil", with four zones, there is the region "America", which lists major cities. That is no doubt also the case in Maté. And maybe that takes care of the summer time problem. I'll have to wait till summer to find out ;)