need to free up some space

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
blurymind

need to free up some space

Post by blurymind »

I gave salix 11 gigs. Installed the standard 64 bit version with kde, had to install some 32 bit libraries in order to run skype and also installed autodesk Maya (1.5 gb).
Now I need help trimming it a bit- to get some space back.

Do you guys know of any packages that can be safely removed?

Also is there a way to tell it to wipe /tmp and /var/tmp more often? (I am guessing an rc.d script?)

Thanks in advance!
aurlaent
Donor

Re: need to free up some space

Post by aurlaent »

Code: Select all

slapt-src --clean
slapt-get --clean
or slapt-get --autoclean
are good ways to free up space without losing anything.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175470934/

Packages that can be safely removed? Hard to say without knowing what you are using and not using.
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Regarding removing packages, except in one or two cases like the office suite, there's generally so little in it it's not worth the trouble unless you are working in very constrained circumstances indeed. And if you are, then your partition may be unhealthily small. Full filesystems are inefficient. Even with Maya, you should be ok though. How much free space do you have?

df -h
blurymind

Post by blurymind »

aurlaent wrote:

slapt-src --clean
slapt-get --clean
or slapt-get --autoclean
are good ways to free up space without losing anything.
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... 175470934/

Packages that can be safely removed? Hard to say without knowing what you are using and not using.
The first command alone got rid of over a gig of cache. Thank you for that :)
kcirick

Post by kcirick »

I have a question that is along the same line as this topic:

I have a whole bunch of package directories in /usr/src. I assume these were created and used by either slapt or sourcery since they contain SLKBUILD file. They don't take up space, but it's sort of ugly. Is there a way to delete them/can I delete them without any issues?
djemos
Salix Warrior

Post by djemos »

kcirick wrote:I have a question that is along the same line as this topic:

I have a whole bunch of package directories in /usr/src. I assume these were created and used by either slapt or sourcery since they contain SLKBUILD file. They don't take up space, but it's sort of ugly. Is there a way to delete them/can I delete them without any issues?
run as root in a terminal

slapt-get --clean
slapt-src --clean
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

kcirick wrote:I have a question that is along the same line as this topic:

Ugly? These contain the build scripts that are used to build every single package that is offered by Salix and they are part of the packages that you have installed. They could be extremely useful for anyone that knows what to do with them, but otherwise don't interfere with your system. You can delete all of them if you want and you will win back probably about 20MB of your several hundred GB hard drive. Just don't delete the kernel sources and don't delete the slapt-src files.
kcirick

Post by kcirick »

djemos wrote: run as root in a terminal

slapt-get --clean
slapt-src --clean
I did the above and didn't clean up what was in /usr/src.
gapan wrote:Ugly? These contain the build scripts that are used to build every single package that is offered by Salix and they are part of the packages that you have installed. They could be extremely useful for anyone that knows what to do with them, but otherwise don't interfere with your system. You can delete all of them if you want and you will win back probably about 20MB of your several hundred GB hard drive. Just don't delete the kernel sources and don't delete the slapt-src files.
I can be a little bit OCD when it comes to folder management. I've never seen the /usr/src directory filled up like this with any other distros, so I was just wondering. I don't know what to do with these files, but I'll just leave them alone. I wasn't worried about the disk space at all.