Dark screen

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
fizzy-logic

Dark screen

Post by fizzy-logic »

Hi to all,
Just installed salix 14.0.1 xfce 64. I use a Nvidia graphics card that is causing a dark screen to manifest after boot-up. How do i get into the OS to install the proprietary nvidia drivers ??
fizzy-logic

Re: Dark screen

Post by fizzy-logic »

That very helpful
Now, how to get to root from the dark screen ?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Ctrl-Alt-F2, then log in

(or use a Live CD or USB as a rescue system)
fizzy-logic

Post by fizzy-logic »

mimosa wrote:Ctrl-Alt-F2, then log in

(or use a Live CD or USB as a rescue system)
Thanks...Ctrl+Alt+F2 was zilch
What should I do with the live cd ?
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

Actually, the Live might just be easier to download the file from nvidia. To run it you need to be in your own system. Ctrl-Alt-F2 should work, and may be worth trying again. If it doesn't work, that suggests you may have other problems (perhaps not the nvidia issue at all). However, how exactly did you install your new Salix system? If you have an installation disk, you could use *that* to install the nvidia driver, though it would be a bit more complicated than through the tty (Ctr-Alt-F2).

First thing though is to download that executable from nvidia, somewhere where you can access it from the commandline in your Salix installation.
fizzy-logic

Post by fizzy-logic »

mimosa wrote:Actually, the Live might just be easier to download the file from nvidia. To run it you need to be in your own system. Ctrl-Alt-F2 should work, and may be worth trying again. If it doesn't work, that suggests you may have other problems (perhaps not the nvidia issue at all). However, how exactly did you install your new Salix system? If you have an installation disk, you could use *that* to install the nvidia driver, though it would be a bit more complicated than through the tty (Ctr-Alt-F2).

First thing though is to download that executable from nvidia, somewhere where you can access it from the commandline in your Salix installation.
Did a full install on the slave optical drive. I wish I could get to the commandline in the installation. Just get a black screen after the boot. Not even a blinking cursor !
Is there a way to disable (nouveau.modeset=0) ?? in the boot sequence? maybe then I could get to the desktop and roll from there.
aurlaent
Donor

Post by aurlaent »

At what point do you get the black screen?
If you see the text of the boot messages, then you should be able to boot into text mode.
At the LILO screen press TAB then type Linux 3 (Replace Linux with whatever your Salix is labelled the 3 is for runlevel 3 which stops before staring the X server.)
mimosa
Salix Warrior

Post by mimosa »

If that doesn't work, it may be worth checking the integrity of your download - the md5sum should be available on the download page.
fizzy-logic

Post by fizzy-logic »

aurlaent wrote:At what point do you get the black screen?
If you see the text of the boot messages, then you should be able to boot into text mode.
At the LILO screen press TAB then type Linux 3 (Replace Linux with whatever your Salix is labelled the 3 is for runlevel 3 which stops before staring the X server.)
hello there,
I get the black screen after the rolling texts.
Tried TAB but no go there. :roll: I pressed tab during the texts and when it went to a black screen.