Upgrade 13.37 to 14.2 [Solved]

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Upgrade 13.37 to 14.2 [Solved]

Post by Van_Vinkle »

Two questions concerning the new Salix release and its upgrade:

I love Salix and I like MATE. Despite Salix 14.2 has XFCE desktop, I should prefer MATE. I think MATE desktop is already available. Am I right?

And second and most important: my system is 13.37 64 bit. Can I upgrade directly from 13.37 to 14.2 or must I do all the path 13.37 -> 14.0 -> 14.1 -> 14.2?

Thanks for your attention.

Van Vinkle
Last edited by Van_Vinkle on 28. Sep 2016, 10:30, edited 1 time in total.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Upgrade 13.37 to 14.2

Post by gapan »

Van_Vinkle wrote:I love Salix and I like MATE. Despite Salix 14.2 has XFCE desktop, I should prefer MATE. I think MATE desktop is already available. Am I right?
Yes. Just

Code: Select all

sudo slapt-get --install-set mate
Van_Vinkle wrote:And second and most important: my system is 13.37 64 bit. Can I upgrade directly from 13.37 to 14.2 or must I do all the path 13.37 -> 14.0 -> 14.1 -> 14.2?
It is possible to upgrade directly. I know I have done it in a few cases. You will need to consolidate the instructions for each version upgrade from the wiki into a single set of instructions. There may be some problems which can be solved, but may require some work (mostly install replacements for obsolete packages, renamed packages etc). A clean install might be easier to do.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

Thanks for your quick answer.

Prior to start this job, I'd like to have a list of installed packages; not only the "normal" ones (ls -l /var/log/packages) but also the ones I've installed by Sourcery or directly compiled. If my memory is not too bad, there was a script doing that, which I cannot find.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

ls /var/log/packages
shows all installed packages. Including the ones from SBo/manually etc.
zAchAry

Post by zAchAry »

Better use this command to see most recently installed 20 packages.

ls /var/log/packages -1 -t | head -n 20
Help to make Slackware easier Donate to Salix
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

gapan wrote:

ls /var/log/packages
shows all installed packages. Including the ones from SBo/manually etc.
This implies that you should always (make if not available then) install a package for your software.

If instead you compile and install the software manually with "make install" it will not be recorded in /var/log/packages so it won't be manageable by the tools provided by Salix.

Didier
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

I've made a list of all the changes advised for each upgrade. After having changed the runlevel (#telinit 3), I've wrote in /etc/slapt-get/slapt-getrc the new repository target 14.2 instead of 13.37. I've run slapt-get --update and after that I've installed/upgraded slapt-get itself. The next step was, according to the wiki, to install/upgrade spkg, glibc, etc., but I get this error message:

slapt-get: error while loading shared libraries: libcrypto.so.1: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
And, if I try gslapt:

gslapt: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /usr/lib64/libslapt.so)
And I get stuck here. Please, give me some advice.
DidierSpaier

Post by DidierSpaier »

As already pointed out by gapan, a fresh install is much easier (and also safer and faster, in my humble opinion).

If you go that way, do not forget to make backups of all files you'd be sorry to loose (and remember that possibly some are not under /home; for instance mysql databases usually are under /var/lib).
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

Oh, that is bad. It has been some days now, so I don't know what you did you with it, but at this point you would need to download the openssl package from 14.2 manually in another system and move it to that one with a USB stick and then use spkg to install it. Or use a live system and install it with the the "spkg --root=" option. It is recoverable, but I don't know how much effort that will need from your part. And you might get another similar problem after that point, in which case you should do the same with any additional libraries it might need.
Van_Vinkle
Donor

Post by Van_Vinkle »

If I well understood your advice, I must go to a 14.2 repository, get the openssl package, and install it with spkg -i.

I did so. There are no one but three files named openssl in the repo: openssl-solibs-1.0.2h-x86_64-1.txz; openssl-solibs-1.0.2h-x86_64-1.txt and openssl-solibs-1.0.2h-x86_64-1.txz.as. If I'm not wrong, the first one is the package, being the others only for information and control.

As said, I did so, and get:

# spkg -i openssl-solibs-1.0.2h-x86_64-1.txz
Installing package openssl-solibs-1.0.2h-x86_64-1...
| openssl-solibs (OpenSSL shared libraries)
| 
| These shared libraries provide encryption routines required by
| programs such as openssh, bind, sendmail, and many others.
| 
| This product includes software developed by the OpenSSL Project for
| use in the OpenSSL Toolkit (http://www.openssl.org).  This product
| includes cryptographic software written by Eric Young
| (eay@cryptsoft.com).  This product includes software written by Tim
| Hudson (tjh@cryptsoft.com).
| 
| 
| 
WARNING: File already exist lib64/libcrypto.so.1.0.0 (it will be replaced)
WARNING: File already exist etc/ssl/misc/c_hash (it will be replaced)
WARNING: File already exist etc/ssl/misc/CA.pl (it will be replaced)
WARNING: File already exist etc/ssl/misc/c_info (it will be replaced)
WARNING: File already exist etc/ssl/misc/CA.sh (it will be replaced)
WARNING: File already exist etc/ssl/misc/c_issuer (it will be replaced)
WARNING: File already exist etc/ssl/misc/c_name (it will be replaced)
and slapt-get continues no working, giving this message:

# slapt-get -u
slapt-get: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by slapt-get)
slapt-get: /lib64/libc.so.6: version `GLIBC_2.14' not found (required by /lib64/libcrypto.so.1)
Again, I have downloaded glibc-solibs-2.23-x86_64-1.txz and tried the installation with spkg -u, but concludes:

WARNING: Post-installation script failed. (32512)
 --> Running /sbin/ldconfig...
WARNING: Program /sbin/ldconfig failed. (32512)
???

EDIT:
It's worse: now, when the computer starts, the process stops with a warning: "kernel panic" :cry: