SalixOS May Inherit Lots of New Users Soon

Talk about other linux distributions, or even other OSes.
djemos
Salix Warrior

Re: SalixOS May Inherit Lots of New Users Soon

Post by djemos » 22. May 2019, 18:11

Artim wrote:
19. May 2019, 23:26
An advanced kernel updater for a LiveUSB
We have in salix two scripts for updating kernel + initrd in a live usb and then boot with the new kernel.
One script is for huge kernel and the other for generic kernel.

hugok

Post by hugok » 4. Jun 2019, 14:23

MX Linux, IMHO is just antiX customize.

Artim
Donor

Post by Artim » 4. Jun 2019, 21:35

hugok wrote:
4. Jun 2019, 14:23
MX Linux, IMHO is just antiX customize.
It's more like "Mepis Lite" to me. The name MX is taken from Mepis and antiX, as both distros share developers.

hugok

Post by hugok » 5. Jun 2019, 15:36

I do not say it's a bad Linux distro (even because I help MX and also antiX in their translations) but I find it MX Linux a bit confusing.... too many tweaks.

Tired of those distros, have only found peace in Slackware.(and Salix) because i'm becomming a lazy Slacker and i really like the project.

jcoleman

Post by jcoleman » 13. Jul 2019, 15:13

hugok wrote:
5. Jun 2019, 15:36
I do not say it's a bad Linux distro (even because I help MX and also antiX in their translations) but I find it MX Linux a bit confusing.... too many tweaks.

Tired of those distros, have only found peace in Slackware.(and Salix) because i'm becomming a lazy Slacker and i really like the project.
Last line is a good way to put it. Tried MX in VirtualBox and just didn't see the point really. Salix has been the main distro in the house for some time and haven't had any reason to change. Any issues (few) have been fixed by the help of the forum and a tweak here and there.

Artim
Donor

Post by Artim » 13. Jul 2019, 21:35

I chose two "newbie friendly" distros to introduce new people to Linux, often those who had older computers that needed something to replace the resource-hungry Microsoft OS they were used to.

But I don't do a lot of that any more, and it's likely that Salix will become my only distro, on all 3 of my machines (desktop, laptop, and spare 32-bit desktop).