Hello from South France

Introduce yourself, create test postings or talk nonsense
kikinovak

Hello from South France

Post by kikinovak »

Hi,

I'm an Austrian sysadmin living in Montpezat, a little village in South France. I'm 100% GNU/Linux since 2001, and my first Linux was Slackware 7.1. I've been using Slackware exclusively for a few years, then did some distro-hopping, then came back to Slackware until 12.1, then moved entirely to CentOS, which I've been using for work on servers and desktops for the last few years (http://www.microlinux.fr, that's me).

Around 2007, I had a project called "Slick" with fellow Slacker (and ex-Libranet developer) Daniel de Kok, who also happens to be the author of slackbasics.org. Our goal was, believe it or not, a Slackware-based desktop with XFCE, a handful of lightweight and no-bullshit apps, plus working multimedia stuff. Sounds familiar? Eventually, we had around 200 SlackBuild scripts, complete tagfiles and everything... only we were both too busy at our jobs to maintain that thing, so it was primarily a learning experience. And so our "Slick" project was quietly forgotten.

Some time ago I read a review of Slackware derivative distros. Can't seem to find the article again, but I think it was one of Caitlyn Martin's excellent articles. I thought : Salix? Gave it a shot a few days ago, and I was very impressed : wow!

So let me first give you guys a huge pat on the shoulder. That's some nice work you've done here! Working everyday on RHEL clones makes me feel like driving a Volvo, so Salix gives me back that old Kawasaki feeling.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: Hello from South France

Post by gapan »

Welcome kikinovak and thanks for your kind words. :)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: Hello from South France

Post by Akuna »

Welcome kikinovak :)

Funny enough I stumbled upon your website just about a week or two ago & more specifically upon your excellent book:
http://www.microlinux.fr/linux_aux_peti ... mmaire.php

BTW, do you have an English version of it somewhere? It contains much useful material for beginners.
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.