SALIX and Slack compatibility PACKAGES

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
vikrang

SALIX and Slack compatibility PACKAGES

Post by vikrang »

I have been using salix Xfce for quite some time now and have decided to use it as my primary OS..

Just a couple of doubts reg packages

1. When you say completely compatible with slack , does it mean I can install tgz or txz using installpkg?
2.Salix uses slapt-get for dependency handling...Can I also use sbopkg and queue files?
3. Where do you find SLKBUILD files? Is there any tree structure which I can clone for easy installation from source? (similar to ABS in Arch)
4. Is there a tutorial on creating new SLKBUILD from source tarballs for a non tech person (step by step example)?
gapan
Salix Wizard

Re: SALIX and Slack compatibility PACKAGES

Post by gapan »

vikrang wrote:1. When you say completely compatible with slack , does it mean I can install tgz or txz using installpkg?
That too.
vikrang wrote:2.Salix uses slapt-get for dependency handling...Can I also use sbopkg and queue files?
Yes.
vikrang wrote:3. Where do you find SLKBUILD files? Is there any tree structure which I can clone for easy installation from source? (similar to ABS in Arch)
In our source repository, or you create them. And why install from source if a binary package is already available.
vikrang wrote:4. Is there a tutorial on creating new SLKBUILD from source tarballs for a non tech person (step by step example)?
Search the wiki. man slkbuild and man SLKBUILD include all the info you need I think.