update offline.

General talk about packaging procedures and packages.
zerdna

update offline.

Post by zerdna »

update offline.

Hello.
Could make an update, package or system offline.
yes, how?
Thank you very much.

Julio Torres 8-)
Linux will have more users the day we stop showing as something complicated. Julio Torres.
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Re: update offline.

Post by Akuna »

Sorry, I'm not sure your question is clear enough, could you try to reformulate it?
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
zerdna

Post by zerdna »

Akuna wrote:Sorry, I'm not sure your question is clear enough, could you try to reformulate it?
Yes I have PC no internet connection, I want do update system or package.
But can I update my PC offline from other PC with conection internet.

Thank you for advice.

Julio Torres. ;) :oops:
Linux will have more users the day we stop showing as something complicated. Julio Torres.
Kerd

Post by Kerd »

You can download the packages on the PC with internet, put them on a pendrive or cd and update them on the pc that are not connecting to internet.
zerdna

Post by zerdna »

Kerd wrote:You can download the packages on the PC with internet, put them on a pendrive or cd and update them on the pc that are not connecting to internet.
Ok.

I understand, but to upgrade system is the same procedure. I understand the advice is for package.

For example where packets are stored discharge slapt-get.

Again thank you.

Julio Torres :mrgreen: :D ;)
Akuna
Salix Wizard

Post by Akuna »

Supposing your 2 computers features the exact same version of Salix & that you never cleaned slapt-get cache on the 'online' computer.
First upgrade your 'online' computer, then copy /var/slapt-get directory to the 'offline' computer before upgrading it too
What really matters is where you are going, not where you come from.
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

Use these steps:
On the non-connected computer:
  1. copy the content of /var/log/packages to an USB key or CD or hard drive, whatever. Use tar to get a file, easier to transport:

Code: Select all

$ tar cf mypackages.tar /var/log/packages/*
On the connected computer:
  1. Get the content of the tar, and unpack it to /tmp/2upgrade dir:

$ mkdir -p /tmp/2upgrade/var/log/packages /tmp/2upgrade/var/slapt-get && (cd /tmp/2upgrade/var/log/packages && tar xf path_to_your/mypackages.tar)
  2. create the file slapt-getrc:

$ cat > slapt-getrc
    WORKINGDIR=/tmp/2upgrade/var/slapt-get
    EXCLUDE=^aaa_elflibs,^aaa_base,^devs,.*-[0-9]+dl$,-x86_64-
    SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-13.1/:OFFICIAL
    SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/i486/slackware-13.1/extra/:OFFICIAL
    SOURCE=http://salix.enialis.net/i486/13.1/:PREFERRED
    ^D
    Of course you must adapt it to match the one you've got on the non-connected machine, just change the WORKINGDIR variable.
  3. execute the update on the connected computer (assuming slapt-get is available on this computer):

$ export ROOT=/tmp/2upgrade; /usr/sbin/slapt-get -c slapt-getrc -d --upgrade; unset ROOT
  4. copy the content of /tmp/2upgrade/var/slapt-get to a tar file
  5. copy this tar file to the non-connected computer, extracting in to /var/slapt-get and then do the upgrade on this computer:

# slapt-get --upgrade
I didn't test this, but I'm pretty sure it will work.
FormatC

Post by FormatC »

I, too, would like to be able to manually update and install programs offline. For me, this would be only temporary, though. Right now, I don't have an internet connection at my house since I just moved in. As such, in order to install packages/updates on my computer, I have to do it manually. This method, though, is hit or miss.

I download the packages/updates via an internet connection (not at my house) using a Microsoft computer. As such, sometimes I happen to have all the dependencies in place, but most of the time I don't. Is there a way to get things and install them without manually looking through all the dependencies. In my experience, I get what I would like to install from a repository, and on that page there is a list of dependencies. So I click on those and get those as well. But as I click on more pages, dependencies also have other dependencies, and I don't know how far it will end up going. Is there an easier way to go about doing this?
JRD
Salix Warrior

Post by JRD »

No easy way to do this for now on a Windows system. sorry.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

You can always rsync the entire slackware+salix repositories to an external hard drive and then use that hard drive as local repositories with slapt-get.