Upgrade to Firefox 24.7.0 in 14.1/x86 wrecks MIME database

You have a problem with Salix? Post here and we'll do what we can to help.
GJones
Donor

Upgrade to Firefox 24.7.0 in 14.1/x86 wrecks MIME database

Post by GJones »

Just after updating to Firefox 24.7.0 my Salix laptop stopped rendering any and all PNG images. Hard disk isn't failing, and I'm pretty sure the machine didn't get rooted, but was stumped until I Googled up a blog entry mentioning MIME database corruption. Reinstalled shared-mime-info package -> everything works fine now.

Still not certain, but it looks to me like the Firefox update did a nasty to the MIME database in /usr/share/applications/mimeinfo.cache. I will investigate this further.
GJones
Donor

Re: Upgrade to Firefox 24.7.0 in 14.1/x86 wrecks MIME databa

Post by GJones »

Okay, this is odd. The install script updates the mime DB but it looks like it should do it right. Not sure why it would mess up, even if Firefox were running at the time?

Anyway I'm interested in whether anyone can reproduce this.
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

Blargh, it happened again!

Was running Salix Openbox 14.1 x86 on an old laptop, installed Opera via slapt-src, and all my icons and desktop menu entries disappeared. Reinstalling shared-mime-info fixed the icons, but I still don't know what's went wrong with the menus. Also the permissions for Opera's files are horribly messed up, everything seems to be root:root 0700.

(Just a thought: I'm using a umask of 0077. But that is for my user. Root should not inherit that through sudo, right? Also no build or install script should ever rely on umask, it should set permissions itself. Right? In any case I've never seen this on other distros when changing my user's umask.)
GJones
Donor

Post by GJones »

Found the problem, it is indeed a conflict between sudo and 0077 umask. I will continue the discussion about that elsewhere.