qmake and wine for 64bit OS

If there's software you need and you can't find, make a request for it.
neRok

qmake and wine for 64bit OS

Post by neRok »

hi, i would just like to put in a request for qmake, its required to install mythtv and it currently is only available in the package 'qt', which is 40+mb download. if the qmake can be split off to its own little package, that would be great.

also, i see wine is in the 32bit repos, but not the 64bit. any reason why? i need to run wine on my system (for ripping cd's with EAC) and would like to be using 64bit system.
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Re: qmake and wine for 64bit OS

Post by thenktor »

As Qt is a Slackware package we won't rebuild a Qt or qmake package for Salix.

AFAIK you would need 32 bit multilibs to build and run 32 bit Wine on a 64 bit OS. So you may want to search for Slackware multilib and after that try to build Wine. And take a look here http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
neRok

Post by neRok »

re qmake, i just thought it would be a good idea to have it on its own. its 40mb download to get the qt package, and all that is required is 1 little part thats probably only 1mb. Downloading mythtv is only like 20mb (from memory), so the majority of downloads is for qt.

i had done a bit of googling and saw mention of the multilibs, so i will look into it further.
gapan
Salix Wizard

Post by gapan »

neRok wrote:hi, i would just like to put in a request for qmake, its required to install mythtv and it currently is only available in the package 'qt', which is 40+mb download. if the qmake can be split off to its own little package, that would be great.
As that is a slackware package, we can't do that. Anyway, if it's only needed for installing mythtv, not running it, you could remove it after you're done with it.
neRok wrote:also, i see wine is in the 32bit repos, but not the 64bit. any reason why? i need to run wine on my system (for ripping cd's with EAC) and would like to be using 64bit system.
Because wine is strictly a 32bit application. It is not possible to use it in a pure 64bit environment. If you turn your system into a multilib environment (64bit + 32bit libraries), then you would be able to run it. I don't think it needs to be recompiled though, you just need to install 32bit libraries
thenktor
Salix Wizard

Post by thenktor »

gapan wrote:Because wine is strictly a 32bit application. It is not possible to use it in a pure 64bit environment.
No, there is a 64 bit WINE for 64 bit Windows, too :mrgreen:
burnCDDA (burns audio CDs)
geBIERt (German beer blog)
Sigg3.net

Post by Sigg3.net »

From the horse's mouth: "To successfully build 32-bit Wine on 64-bit system your system needs 32-bit compatibility packages. These include: a compiler that can create 32-bit binaries, 32-bit development and runtime libraries, and development headers. To install them all, you can do it the easy way or the hard way."
Read more @ http://wiki.winehq.org/WineOn64bit

I've been experimenting on using alien's multilib for slackware to get Wine up and running on x86_64 but I'm not quite there yet. I got Steam up and running but then it crashed with memory errors so I guess I haven't quite done it yet.

HOWEVER, I think one ought to try to just run the Slackware packages. As the Wine wiki says: if you only intend to RUN wine then just run the ready made packages.
Packages for Wine 1.3.25 are here: http://sourceforge.net/projects/wine/fi ... 25/x86_64/